Friday, March 30, 2012

My Running History

Before June 2009 there is no running history. I never ran track in high school. I was never involved in a race. Running never really even crossed my mind. I did some dancing in high school and then became a Flight Attendant after high school. Both of these activities kept me semi-slim, and then I got married, took a desk job and went back to school. Before I knew it I was overweight and extremely unhappy. I started looking for answers.

First, I visited the doctor who told me that my thyroid was low and that I have PCOS or Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. I went on medication for both, but I still struggle to keep taking my meds. Then I found a website; sparkpeople.com. I loved it from the beginning. I tracked my food intake and physical activity. I lost a little weight and on one of the boards I heard about the Couch to 5k program. I like structure and organization so this seemed perfect. I graduated the program in August 2009. Life was good and I lost about 40 pounds.

In November 2010 I found out that I was pregnant. I wanted to keep up with my running but unfortunately the doctor told me that I needed to take it easy after a miscarriage scare. I gained all of my weight back during my pregnancy even though my son was born 2 months early. Ugh. Then my main focus was him for awhile. Now that he's older (10 months) I'm ready to get moving. I chose not to do the Couch to 5k program this time around because I would like to be able to run for an hour on the days that I am able to. I am still starting off with interval running but just going for a longer period of time.

Well that was long-winded. I am extremely slow at running but I'm proud of myself for getting out there and doing it. Thanks for reading.


 Not too long after finishing Couch to 5k. Feeling pretty good about myself. :)

4 comments:

  1. Just stumbled on your blog from Runs for Cookies and wanted to say hi! I am a mommy "runner" too. I have two girls (3 and almost 2) and am 26 weeks pregnant for girl #3... and I'm training for my very first 1/2 marathon (granted it is not until February 2013)! Would love to cheer each other on. My page is: http://rapunzelruns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I left a comment on your page but I'm not sure that it worked. Way to go running while pregnant! I will definitely be reading your page for advice because we are thinking of adding another little one soon. Keep up the great job!

      Delete
  2. I feel ya, I gained 80 pounds with my daughter! Thankfully that motivated me to start running and I lost 110 pounds ;) I'm your newest follower and look forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look amazing!!! I am going to start reading your blog ASAP cause I want to look like that! ;)

      Delete