Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My First 10k!

I did it. I came in last place. But I did it. :)

My stuff all laid out the night before. I was SUPER nervous!

 
I got to the starting line about 7 a.m. Picked up my race packet and then just sat in my car getting everything organized. I headed to the restroom at 7:45. Then we started to line up and stretch. It sucked being alone. I knew one other person that was going to be there but I didn't see her until we lined up. I knew that she was way faster than me so I was on my own. From the chip times I now know that there were 136 people. I lined up in the back with a few other people and we were off.

The first mile felt good. I had decided to run each mile for something. The first mile was for my grandparents because I was going to be running right by my grandfathers house! My watch said 13:30 at the end of the first mile. I was about 3rd from last at this point. The 2nd mile was a slight incline. Not much but I felt it. People passed me and I was last. I kept a few people in my sights the whole race but from then on out I was it. At every station or intersection I got to say "I'm it". But you know what I kind of didn't really care. It felt good just to be doing it.

End of Mile 2 my watch said 27. I was doing great! I only walked through the drinking stations.

End of Mile 3 my watch said 41. Still keeping up a 13-14 min mile. I was having fun. I don't remember my mile times after that because I was just focused on finishing.

Somewhere between Mile 4 and 5 I tried to eat some Sugar Babies that I brought but I just couldn't eat and run at the same time. Something I will need to work on. The last mile was hard but I kept right behind the woman in front of me. I got stopped at an intersection because they had opened the roads back up but it was only for a few seconds. I saw my family at the Finish Line! Then I realized that my friend had waited. I was happy until I found out later that the Finish Line had been packed but everyone left before I got there. haha. Oh well. They cheered for me and it felt good. We grabbed some french toast and hung around for a bit but it was boring so we left.

My Chip Time was 1:26:20. That's a 13:55 min/mile. I am happy with that.


Yup. Very Last. Oh well.

 
Mile 1 - Grandparents. My biggest cheerleaders. I only have 1 grandpa still with us.
Mile 2- Law Enforcement Officers such as my hubby
Mile 3- Those that can't run.
Mile 4- My Family
Mile 5- Me!
Mile 6 - Uncle Junior that passed from Brain Cancer but was encouraging during my first running adventure.

My Sugar-Free Mango Slurpee that I got as a treat. :)

 
I see more 10k's in my future, but I've got my eye on a Half. ;)

The Technical Shirt. Not too flattering yet, but I'm working on it.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! I knew that you could do it. I'm so glad you decided to run the 10k.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! My first race there was no one at the finish line (other my 'rents) and they were actually taking down the clock while people were still on the course. grr.

    Amazing job, though. You kept a consistent pace which is something I definitely struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is so rude! We paid just as much and worked just as hard to get to the end. At least give us the same courtesies. Ugh.

      Delete