Monday, April 2, 2012

Whoa Nelly

So yesterday I decided to do a short run because it was terribly windy here so I couldn't take my son out in the jogging stroller, so I resigned myself to the treadmill. I just love saving my episodes of Biggest Loser and watching them when I run, such motivation. I was thinking that I would run for a half hour but I am so SLOW that I didn't get anywhere in a half hour. I made it to 2.5 miles in 41 minutes. That works for me.

Question for when anyone finally starts reading my blog. ;)  I am still doing a 5 min warm-up and cool-down. And I count that distance towards my run. What do you do?

Friday I was able to get in about 3.6 miles outside. Beautiful day.

BIG NEWS. I think I finally picked my first race. My mom said that she will walk one with me. So over the weekend we picked one on my grandfather's birthday. In the town that he lived in. My uncle and my sister will probably be joining us also. Plus it said there is a small carnival after for the kids! It sounds like a tiny race. I don't think they will even have a clock, but I'll have my HRM. So, look out Cinco De Mayo! I'm coming for you.


https://runsignup.com/Race/UT/Highland/Jog4Janelle5KFunRun2

6 comments:

  1. I do a 5 - 10 minute warm up walk and 10 min cool down and don't count that towards my RUNNING mileage, but count it as mileage on my shoes. BUT, I do count those calories burned during warmup and cool down and them into my daily mile. That's what works for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, well I'm behind the game then because I've been counting them. I've heard that once you are a more seasoned runner that you won't need the warm-up anymore. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a very seasoned walker and I never warm up first! Lol, just kidding. I have no idea what you are supposed to do either but I feel like as long as you are getting faster and going further each week you have to be doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should always do what works best for you. If you want to count your warmups, then count them.

    Sometimes I really need a 10 min warm up walk and sometimes 5 will do. Just experiment. Even seasoned people warmup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I should comment on this post! I jump on the treadmill, start my music, then hit start on the treadmill very soon after before I can procrastinate any further, and I'm off! No warm up. I just get to it! I feel like I startle myself into running every time. lol. I do a five minute cool down and i do count the distance only because the treadmill I use doesn't show the distance and time together simultaneously on the screen. But that's me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The things we do to get our bodies to run. haha. I'm still counting my warm-up and cool-down. I won't have them on race days so I figure that I'll just run a lot faster than I expect. ;)

      Delete